I have to confess that I am not a racer. I have been running for nearly 20 years, probably started calling myself a runner 10 years ago, but have done a grand total of 5 races in that time - 3 marathons, 1 5k, and 1 25k! My running started with the desire to lose weight and turned into something I really enjoy. I love getting up in the morning and heading out, feeling my way, determining my course and distance at my own whim. I don't mind running solo at all. I finally decided to run my first marathon in 2012 and learned that I enjoy the entire training process as well. Racing still makes me pretty nervous as thoughts like, "I hope I'm not last" or "what if I DNF?" float through my brain.
| We got these canvas bags instead of shirts - they fit everyone perfectly! |
The Brio Ice Cream 25k started at 5:30 yesterday morning. They suggested arriving one hour early to get parking and pick up our timing chips. Our condo is about 30 minutes from the start which meant leaving at 4:00. So I set my alarm for 3:15 and was awake shortly before 3:00. Big time butterflies in my stomach for this one.
When we arrived a group of walkers was heading out. Many people walk the Honolulu Marathon, so this was a training walk for them. They were able to go out one hour early but would not be eligible for any awards.
| Les took this sunrise picture while patiently waiting for me to finish! |
I didn't get any pictures at the start - it was super dark and the park was only partially lit. After a couple of stops in the bathroom, it was time to line up. The race director gave some directions but I had a pretty big group of talkers behind me so I think I missed some important details. The race started a little ways away from the park and we had to be quiet so the neighbors wouldn't complain. I never saw an official mat to cross, but people started running so I knew we were off!
I did my best to just get into my own rhythm. I kept my music off, just listening to the footsteps around me and my own breathing. I felt like I was working really hard. I didn't see the 1 mile marker but saw the 2 mile marker and realized my Suunto was a bit off. Since I didn't know when to start it, I started it pretty late as I was only at 1.83 miles.
After 3 miles my pace was 10:21 and my average heart rate was 149. It was a breezy 76 degrees and my body was really working. The course had some rolling hills and I spent the majority of the race passing and being passed by the same 10-15 people. I always feel a little better about myself when I see others taking a walk break!
Around the 7 mile mark my timing chip really started bugging me. I've never seen one like this - it was basically an ankle bracelet that Velcroed on. I stopped and switched it from my right leg to my left and switched it again at about the half marathon mark. I didn't have any chaffing but was really concerned that I would get some. I used Body Glide pretty much everywhere, including on my feet, and did not have any chaffing or blisters.
The day never got any warmer, but the heat definitely took a toll on my body and my pace. I slowed some and took a walk break about every mile. Some time around mile 10-12 I started feeling really nauseated. I took little longer walk break and my stomach settled but I definitely wasn't feeling great.
The course seemed to get shorter as I went. Around the mile 12 marker I noticed my distance was only 11.75 or so. Not really sure what happened there, but my total distance ended up being 14.67. After checking the official results, by calculating the distance based on my time and pace, the course was only 14.75 miles so whoever set the mile markers out was off a little bit and the race was not 25k as advertised. (Should I be happy or sad about that?)
Official results: 14.75 miles in 2:50:35, 11:34 pace. Good enough for 16/34 in my age group and 452/633. Not great, but when I started thinking about how much heat affects pace, I actually felt really good about it. It is NOT going to be 75 at the start of my marathon. I'll be surprised if it is that warm at the finish!
| Brio Ice Cream - the perfect way to start recovering! |
And now for the really data geek stuff:
According to my Suunto, my PTE (Peak Training Effect) was 3.4 (Improving Training Effect)
My average heart rate was 148 with a max of 162. Effort was broken down as follows:
44 seconds at moderate (109-126 bpm)
48:02 at hard (127-144 bpm)
2:00:49 at very hard (145-162 bpm)
My fastest mile was mile 2 at 10:04. My slowest was mile 9 at 13:06 - this included the biggest hill of the day with a little over 100' elevation gain.
Suunto recommended 100 hours of recovery time (that is Thursday!) Interestingly, Suunto recommended 72 hours after my Crystal Lake plunge. It recommended 120 hours after the Honolulu Marathon. Yes, I worked hard!
Okay, this post is long enough. More to come: The Marathon Readiness Series and Brio Ice Cream Review (it was really good!)
Great job! an ankle bracelet timing chip does sound really annoying!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Christy! I just found the comments you have left - I have not been getting email notifications.
DeleteYes, the ankle bracelet was really annoying! I think if I'd been wearing compression socks it wouldn't have been as noticeable.
Congrats on doing so well during your race!
ReplyDelete