Disclaimer
This blog is about my running experience. I am not a physician, nutritionist or personal trainer. I am a runner. I do not know it all. I am only writing from my own experiences. I finished my first marathon on June 3, 2012. Who knows where my feet will take me next!
Monday, April 17, 2017
Tantalus Sunday! (Week 15/52)
Happy Marathon Monday! We are six hours behind Boston here in Hawaii, so I woke up to news of Marcel Hug winning the wheelchair competition by ONE second and setting a new world record. Congrats to the winners and way to go USA runners for grabbing two of the top four spots in both the men's and women's divisions. Huge kudos to the amazing Katherine Switzer on her return at age 70!
I had another solid week of running with lots of walking in the mix. I pushed my long run to Sunday. With only 10 miles on the schedule I wanted to hit up Tantalus. No trip to Oahu is complete until I've run the mountain. I stopped several times for pictures so I knew I wouldn't get any PRs but I finished really strong.
The real test of any Tantalus run for me is mile 6. After climbing almost 1,500' there is finally some downhill. The road drops about 200' then cruelly reverses for the next half mile. I was able to push through and run the mile in 9:11. My final four miles just got faster: 8:45, 8:44, 8:28 and 7:57! I was determined to finish fast and had to really concentrate to finish my last mile in under 8:00.
We fly home mid-week and my long run for the weekend is 18 miles. Last year the thought of running that distance filled me with dread. Although I know it will be tough, I'm ready to take on the challenge. I'm especially looking forward to cooler temps and lower humidity.
Totals for the week:
Running: 23.95
Walking: 8.56
Total: 32.51
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Great week of running! Your training is going well!
ReplyDeleteAfter last year's disappointments it feels good to be running strong again.
ReplyDelete