This is not my last minute wish list to the guy in the red suit. The Santa I'm referring to is Santa Ana, as in Santa Ana Winds. We have had wind advisories for the past two weeks. They have driven multiple fires in our area, leaving a large path of destruction. The largest, the Thomas Fire, is on pace to become the largest in the history of California. It's been burning for two weeks now with expected full containment in January. The LATimes had an interesting article showing how the fire is larger than many U.S. cities.
We were advised on Tuesday, December 5th, to be prepared for evacuation due to the Rye Fire that was burning in Santa Clarita. We were fortunate that the fire did not come to Simi Valley, but the winds have continued to blow. We had a short reprieve on Friday, but the calm brought its own trouble - smoke from the Thomas Fire.
It's obviously not advisable to run in these conditions. So what's a non-gym membership having, non-treadmill owning runner to do? Les set me up on his bike trainer. I used this at the first of year when we were getting a lot of rain and I had forgotten what a great workout it is. The commentary on the screen is helpful and often entertaining.
This was a workout called "Fang Mountain." A series of "under/overs" that kept things interesting.
This was a 90 minute session I did last week. With a name like "Mary Austin" I wasn't expecting it to be so tough!
I am hopeful that the winds will die down this week. Our current advisory is suppose to end at 9:00 a.m. today and the forecast is looking promising with cooler temps. So in the meantime..
Dear Santa,
Okay, I believe! I've seen my neighbor's reindeer fly. Now please pack up your winds and go away. Merry Christmas!
What's on your weather wish list this year?








I just can't believe the wildfires this year. So scary. I"m glad you're safe (and able to workout!)
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty scary when you smell smoke inside the house. I packed some things in my car last week in case of evacuation... they're still there!
Delete