Disclaimer

This blog is about my running experience. I am not a physician, nutritionist or personal trainer. I am a runner. I do not know it all. I am only writing from my own experiences. I finished my first marathon on June 3, 2012. Who knows where my feet will take me next!

Monday, May 9, 2016

Bill Beauchamp 10k Race Report


It was another beautiful day to race in Hawaii!  I knew I was under-trained, so my expectations were low.  The only thing I did differently from last month's Ford Island Bridge 10k was to wear both water bottles instead of just one.  I was glad to have both!  I was especially under-trained for the heat since it was in the 40s while we were home and it was in the 70s at the start yesterday morning.

It's funny how I can't remember a lot of details from my 10k races.  They kind of go by in a blur of pain.  Marathons are so long you can split them up in segments.  While the 10k isn't over that quickly, it doesn't seem like I had time to take in too many details.  Just keep running.  The scenery was pretty bland - we ran by a refinery and a homeless encampment - twice, since it was an out and back route!

This was not the scenery of my race!

I ran near a young man the entire race.  As I came in to the finishing area Les was there and ran along beside me videoing with his phone.  The video shows me just running along and a quick blue blur going by!  It was the young man, Kyle.  He is from Hawaii but is currently living in Oregon.  He beat my 3 seconds, but when I learned he was 28 to my 52, my feelings where hurt a bit!


After my last race being a bit short, this one was long!  I had 6.35 miles on my watch and my overall time was 1:02:34, 9:51 pace.  Official was 1:02:46, 10:06 pace. (This race was gun time only.)   Still good enough for second in my age group!  21/38 females, 47/89 finishers.


I learned that Kamehameha schools have certain PE requirements for their high school students.  Freshmen are required to run a 10k or swim 3k.  Sophomores must complete a 1.5 mile run/650 yard swim biathlon.  Juniors and seniors must complete two timed events - they must choose their event(10k run or 2k swim) and work with a staff member to design and follow a ten week training plan.  As you can imagine, with the school year coming to a close there were some procrastinators in the bunch!

Next up?  Vacation!  As far as running, I really want to find a 10k that I put on my calendar and actually train for!

Give me the scoop - what's your secret 10k training plan?

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the race! Train for a 10k? I can't say that I ever have! But usually I'm training for a half or a full, with speedwork, and that's usually enough to let me run fast for the distance. so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't trained for a 10k! I guess I need to get back to some speedwork.

      Delete