Disclaimer
This blog is about my running experience. I am not a physician, nutritionist or personal trainer. I am a runner. I do not know it all. I am only writing from my own experiences. I finished my first marathon on June 3, 2012. Who knows where my feet will take me next!
Thursday, May 12, 2016
Tantalus Thursday
It's been quite a while since I ran Tantalus. It was all the way back on January 16th! Now that we don't live in Waikiki it takes a bit more planning to get up and over there before traffic is too bad. Les wanted to ride it on his way to work this morning so I said I'd take his backpack in the car so he wouldn't have to wear it going up the mountain. I was up and out the door around 5:15 and started running at 5:45. My legs felt pretty good. I had no plan and I didn't know what my previous PR was, but I did know Les and his friend Rob would be coming up behind me on their bikes so I wanted to keep moving!
I hit the five mile mark in 1:05:09, a 13:02 pace. This is the meat of the run with almost 1500' feet of climbing. Les and Rob caught me during mile five and I was running strong. Of course mile six is the real killer because it descends a while then kicks back up. I powered up that section and was feeling really good about my chances of PRing the entire loop. I not only PRd, I crushed my previous best! After uploading my file to Strava, I saw that I was 9th overall on the entire loop (a new PR), plus 8th overall on the descent (another PR!) I PRd the climb and am 15th overall on it.
I beat every stat from January! (Mile 10 was 13 seconds slower but traffic was getting heavy and I know I was trying to dodge cars.) Today's splits:
My splits from January 16th:
Now I can really go on vacation and not worry about my fitness level!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Wow! And I thought the elevations at Big Sur were bad...
ReplyDeleteThis thing is a beast, but it's over faster than a marathon!
Delete