I am not a Pokemon Go user. The only thing I know about it is what I've read on the internet, so you know my knowledge is limited and probably about 50% accurate. But when Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home suggested a Running Treasure Hunt, I thought that would be fun!
Trail Runner Go equals the same number of syllables as Pokemon Go, so I knew my treasure hunt needed to take place on the trail. Because having the same number of syllables in a blog title is extremely important and how I plan my runs these days. Or as Wendy put it, "those thoughts about roadside treasure inspired a theme custom-made for the lazy running blogger." I headed to the trail on Tuesday morning. It was a perfect morning in So Cal - low 60s with about 30% humidity. Don't hate, when Fall appears across the country we'll be dealing with Santa Ana winds with temps in the 90s, single digit humidity, and fires.
I've run this trail many times and ridden hundreds of miles on my mountain bike here. I've seen deer, rabbits, coyotes, bobcats, more birds than I can name, snakes, and bear tracks. But evidence on the trail told me what my treasure hunt would lead me to on Tuesday:
These droppings were a little different. Bear? Mountain lion? I don't know...
This tree reminded me of the time a few years ago when I was on my bike. I saw smoke billowing and decided going home was a good idea. The fire that morning was about a mile from our house.
More evidence on the trail...
My plan was to run 5 miles because that is all I seem to be capable of lately. When I hit the 2.5 mile mark the hoof prints were looking more fresh so I thought I'd go just a little further...
Hay! Whatchoo looking at?
It was funny to see them all start hoofing away. They didn't want anything to do with me!
Fortunately it was only an additional quarter mile so I finished with 5.5 miles. And one more treasure on my hunt:
Thanks, Wendy, for the fun idea! Linking up with Taking the Long Way Home.











I LOVE this! I was expecting a wild animal on your trail hunt, not a cow! LOL!! Thanks for playing along and linking up! I think I'll do another one in the fall. See what pops up as the seasons change...
ReplyDeleteI was HOPING for something more exciting, but the trail splits at a cattle ranch so this was no surprise. I rode up there today and didn't see a single cow.
DeleteThis is great! I would have been scared to see that dropping on the trail. Bring mace! You never know if it was a bear or mountain lion! WOW!
ReplyDeleteMy guess is it was a bear since we have seen bear tracks on this trail during the summer for years. A couple of mountain bikers passed me so they would have been first bait.
DeleteThanks for stopping by!
Fun finds! I love running into old cars or homestead sites when I run, bears not so much. I do run into lots of cows :)
ReplyDeleteI've never actually seen our local bear, just tracks and that's okay with me! I think you do more than run into cows. It's a little odd here just 30 miles from Hollywood ;)
Deletelove it! I need to get out on some trails more often!
ReplyDeleteIt's a completely different experience from road running!
Delete